A plug-in under cabinet light fixture is one that is designed to be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Plug-in under cabinet light is very popular as it is a quick and easy way to add brightness and light to the kitchen for preparing food and other functions. Plug-in under cabinet lights can be installed by the user themselves without the help of a certified electrician. It allows the users flexibility in changing the light fixtures and installing new lights effortlessly. Most LED lights have plug-in options and the different types of light fixtures such as LED strips, puck lights, light bars can be installed easily under the cabinets through the plug-in option.
- Top Pick-Litever Under Cabinet LED Lighting Kit
- BEST Plug-In Under Cabinet PUCK LIGHT – AIBOO Dimmable Under Cabinet LED Lighting
- BEST SMALL Plug-in Under Cabinet light– UltraPro LED Fixture Under Cabinet Light
- BEST SMART Plug-In Under Cabinet Lights – LAMPAOUSSmart Under Cabinet Lighting
- BEST PLUG IN STRIP Lights under Cabinet – WobaneUnder Cabinet Lighting Kit
- PREMIUM CHOICE – GetInLight Dimmable LED Under Cabinet Lighting
- Enbrighten Plug-in Under Cabinet Light Fixture
Table of Contents
7 Best Plug In under cabinet lighting Reviews
1. TOP PICK – Litever Under Cabinet LED Lighting Kit
- LED Light Bars
- 3000 K color temperature
- 2000 Lumen
- Plug-in or Hardwired Option
- Certified Power supply included
- Warm White
- 6 * 12 inches in Length
- LED Dimmer included
The Litever under cabinet lighting is the top pick due to the number of features and convenience provided by these lights at a great price. Installation is simple and can be done by the user. All the accessories and installation materials are provided, and you will not need any extra items to complete the installation. Self-adhesive wire holders are also provided to hold the wires in place so that the final setup is very clean and polished. The power adaptor is provided with a US plug. This makes it ideal for use in the US, connecting to the standard 110V power circuit. The lights have a strong adhesive allowing for easy stick-on installation.
The light bars have a diffused light cover which delivers a very soft light. The cover also ensures that there are no spots and glaring and the light is uniform and continuous. The light comes in a cool white color, and it can be dimmed according to the needs of the users. There is a dimmer provided with which the users can dim the brightness. However, it is important to keep the dimmer safe as the lights are not compatible with existing dimmers.
This light fixture provides a lot of value for the price that you are paying for them. Other light fixtures having similar features would cost a lot more.
- Installation is simple and easy.
- Bright and uniform light with no spotting
- Diffused cover available
- Low/no heat produced
- Not compatible with existing dimmers
- Power adaptor may get hot and should be kept in a cool area.
2. BEST PLUG IN PUCK LIGHT – AIBOO Dimmable Under Cabinet LED Lighting
- Hard wired or Plug-in option
- Remote Control included
- 10 Brightness Levels
- Wireless Dimming
- 2700K Color Temperature
- CRI greater than 80
The LED puck lights by AIBOO is the best plug-in puck light due to the number of advantages it provides. The 6 puck lights can be connected to the connection hub in a series installation and the 5 feet long cord of each puck light makes it easy to connect the lights together. It would be a good idea to decide where each light will be placed, where the plug-in socket is, and if the cords are long enough. Once you have designed the layout, the installation can be done in minutes. You can even connect more puck lights if the area is bigger. A great feature of these lights is that the same remote can be used to operate all the lights. Even if you buy additional puck lights and connect them to these 6 lights, they will work with the same remote control.
The wireless remote can be used to power the lights and dim the brightness according to your needs. Installation of these lights is very simple. Each puck light can connect to the other and they can be stuck on to the cabinet surface with the adhesive backing. These puck lights are very slim and can easily be hidden from view under the cabinets. The lights come with 10 brightness levels, and you can choose the best level depending on the task, ambiance, and time of the day. The color temperature is 2700K giving off a warm white color and the high CRI makes them a perfect addition in the kitchen making it easy to perform all your tasks.
- Multiple Brightness Levels
- Plug-In and Hardwire option
- Energy efficient and cost effective
- High CRI, showing off the true colors.
- Wireless remote allows ease of use.
- Light may not be uniform at times
3. BEST SMALL– UltraPro LED Fixture Under Cabinet Light
- 10 inches length
- 2700K Color Temperature
- 340 Lumen
- 5W energy
- Warm white
- Flat Plug
The best small Plug-in LED light fixture is the one from UltraPro. The 10-inch size and the ultra-slim profile is the perfect size to illuminate a smaller area. Due to its thinner shape and outline, it can fit perfectly under cabinets without being seen. The light can be plugged into a nearby socket. Since the cord is white in color it can easily blend into the walls and the plug is flat ensuring that it is not noticeable when seen from a distance. This gives the whole setup a very clean and professional look.
The LED light bar has a plastic covering, diffusing the light to produce a uniform and even light. This ensures that no spot takes place. The color is a warm white color that is not too yellow or too white, going perfectly with most styles and decors. The light is quite bright at 340 lumens for its small size. This is good for performing your tasks, but it cannot be dimmed, when a lower brightness is required. It is simple to operate the light through the power switch on the fixture.
- White cord and flat plug enhance the aesthetics and visual appeal.
- 2700K produces a warm white color.
- Good value for money
- Plastic cover giving off a diffused light.
- Low energy use
- Easy installation
- Cannot be dimmed
4. BEST SMART – LAMPAOUSSmart Under Cabinet Lighting
- 6*12 inches length
- Multi color and multiple brightness levels
- Color temperature from 2700K to 6500K
- Compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant, Echo, etc.
- CRI greater than 85
- Voice Controlled
The 12-inches LED strip lights from LAMPAOUS are the best smart plug-in under cabinet lights. The installation is simple with the control box and the 7-pin extension cord all included in the package. All you need to do is connect them together and connect them to the power source. They have strong adhesive mounting to attach them under the cabinets. These LED lights are compatible with Google Assistant, Echo, Alexa, etc. You can configure the app on your smart device and operate all the functions easily from home or away. You do not even need to be home to switch these lights on. You can do it when you are out through your smart device.
These smart lights have many features such as multi-color, adjustable brightness, and music synchronization. With a high CRI, the lights tend to be a good fit in the kitchen while preparing food and doing other tasks. The color can be adjusted from a warm white to a cool white which gives users a lot of options to choose from. Depending on the décor in the home, a task they are performing, time of the day, users can choose the color. The app also allows users to sync the music to the lights. Some of the functions can also be done by simple voice commands. The majority of the functions can be controlled through the app. You can power the lights on and off manually but adjusting the brightness and other functions needs to be done through the app.
- CRI greater than 85
- Easy Installation
- Multicolor and Adjustable Brightness
- Music Sync
- Voice Activation through App
- Power Efficient
- Instructions provided are hard to understand.
5. BEST PLUG IN STRIP – WobaneUnder Cabinet Lighting Kit
- 4*20-inch length
- 1100 Lumen total brightness
- 12W Power
- Stick On Installation
- CRI greater than 80
- Warm White
The Wobane LED plug-in strip light was the best strip light reviewed. It comes in 4 pieces of 20 inches each and can cover a considerable area. The set includes the necessary connectors and adapter making the installation very easy. The lights can be stuck onto the surface and the power adapter plugged into the power socket. However, a point to take into consideration is that there are all 180-degree connectors and no 90-degree ones for easily turning direction. The lights have a dimmer control which is not included in the kit, and it is recommended to purchase the dimmer control to be able to easily adjust the brightness of the light. The lights have a switch that can turn the lights on and off if the dimmer control is not available.
The light gives off sufficient brightness under the cabinets. The warm white color is perfect for the kitchen and the brightness can be controlled through dimmer control. The continuous run of the light strips also ensures that there is a uniform light without any shadows. This gives a beautiful feel and look. As these light strips use very little energy, they are also very cost-effective in the long term.
- Easy Installation
- 1100 Lumen brightness great for task lighting
- Uniform light without any shadows
- Energy efficient and cost effective
- CRI greater than 80 showing the true colors
- 90-degree connector were not present to bend the tape light round corners.
6. PREMIUM CHOICE – GetInLight Dimmable LED Under Cabinet Lighting
- 18 inches Length
- 3 Color levels
- Plug in or hardwire option
- Energy Star Certified
- 480 Lumen
GetInLight Dimmable LED under cabinet light was the premium choice for the plug-in option due to the ease in installation and the color features available. The light can be easily installed with all the necessary components provided. It is best to plug it into a nearby socket and then link any additional light fixture as it can link up to 20 units to a single power supply. However, if you are linking many lights then it would be advisable to hardwire them. The lights also have knock-out holes every 4 inches which makes it easier to install and hardwire them. The size of this light fixture makes it perfect to light up a small area very well with one unit, while a larger area can be brightened by linking a few units depending on the size.
A very useful feature of this light fixture is the temperature slide. It allows users to choose between a warm white, soft whiter, and bright white light depending on what the user is doing, how dark it is, and what looks good in line with the rest of their décor. The lights can also be dimmed for a bright or a low light using any existing dimmers. It makes it easier for users to switch from a bright task light to a low-level ambient light instantly. The light also comes with an aluminum casing that diffuses the light for a uniform, soft look instead of any harsh glare or spotting.
- Adjustable Brightness
- 3 color levels to choose from.
- Aluminum cover gives off a soft illumination.
- Energy efficient and cost effective.
- Simple Installation
- DIY installation may cause some issues.
- 22-inch length
- 3000K color temperature
- 432 Lumens
- Lifetime warranty.
- High quality plastic housing
The Enbrighten LED Light Bar is quick and easy to install with the plug-in option. The power cords and connectors are white in color that blends seamlessly into the wall. All mounting accessories are provided for users to mount it themselves. Some users find the mounting screws a bit on the smaller side, but the mounting and installation are very simple and can be completed in a short while. The light bars have a premium plastic covering which helps to diffuse the light to create a uniform and continuous glow. This helps in eliminating any spots of light or sharp glares that would not be pleasant.
The warm white is perfect for the kitchen, especially when prepping the food or performing other tasks such as cleaning or clearing. It can tend to have a slight yellowish hue to it and if you would prefer a whiter light, you can go for the cool white option. The lights are very bright and ideal for task lighting, but it doesn’t have any dimming options and it is not possible to reduce the brightness of the light.
- Easy installation.
- Lifetime warranty.
- High intensity and reliable lights.
- Energy-efficient and cost effective.
- High quality plastic cover allows for diffused light.
- The light cannot be dimmed for a warmer and cozier ambience.
Buying Guide: What to look for while buying Plug-In under cabinet lighting
When you want to install a plug-in under cabinet lighting, there are certain factors that you need to check before making the purchase.
- Where will the Plug-In under cabinet lighting be placed?
Placement is the first factor that you should consider before buying the plug-in under cabinet lights. You need to check if there are enough power outlets and in the right place where you want to install the lights before making the purchase. If you do not have power outlets, you will need to pull the power through long extension cords which will not look neat and professional. Therefore, check for the power outlets before making the purchase.
What is the electric voltage of the under-cabinet lighting?
Under-cabinet light fixtures may run on 120V of electricity which is the same voltage as the main electric supply, or it may run on a lower voltage such as 12V, 24V, or 48V. Many LED lights run on a lower voltage. If the under-cabinet lighting runs on the line voltage i.e., 120 volts, then it can be plugged in directly to the power socket. However, if it is running on a lower voltage then it is necessary to attach a driver of adapter that can convert the main electric voltage to the lower voltage and then connect to the light fixture.
- What kind of light will be used for under-cabinet lighting?
LEDs are the most versatile plug-in under cabinet lights available. Due to the lower power requirement and the fact that they don’t heat up quickly, they are the most popular kind of under cabinet light fixture. Most of the LED lights available come with the plug-in option for ease of installation.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Plug In Under Cabinet Lighting
There are many advantages and disadvantages of using Plugin Under cabinet lighting. These are outlined below:
- One advantage of using Plug In under cabinet lighting is that they are extremely easy to install. You do not need the help of a certified electrician to wire the whole lighting system. Most enthusiastic DIYers can attach the light fixtures and plug in the light fixtures on their own in a short time.
- Another advantage of using Plug In under cabinet lighting is that they are much more economical as compared to the hardwired light fixtures. You can save on the cost of hiring a professional to fit the light fixtures for you. Furthermore, in the long run under cabinet lights has the potential to save money as you do not need to illuminate the whole room if you need a bit of light on the countertops for doing your tasks.
- Plug In under cabinet lighting are easy to use. There is a light switch on the power outlet or on the light bar or puck light that you will need to switch on.
- Plug In under cabinet lighting are very versatile. You can change the style or light fixture easily as compared to one that has been hardwired.
- These light fixtures need to have a power outlet nearby for them to be installed.
- Using up a power outlet for the lights mean that you will have less power outlets for equipment and appliances in the kitchen.
- They could have unsightly wires running around if they have not been installed properly.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Where do you plug in under cabinet lighting?
Ans: Install the light at the front of the cabinet. Add in the power cord and drill a hole into the cabinet. Snake the cord into the underside of the cabinet and then attach the cord to the power outlet.
- How do you hardwire plug in under cabinet lighting?
Ans: Hardwiring the plug-in under cabinet lighting can give a very clean and professional look. The first step is to plan the wiring. Then depending on the backsplash, you may have to peel a portion for installing the wire. Drill a hole under each cabinet for the wire to pass through. Run the electrical wire starting at the furthest fixture from the switch. Pass the wire from one fixture to another. At each light fixture, there will be two cords hanging, one entering and one exiting.
Once you get to the last fixture you need to connect the wires with the wire nuts. You should connect the black fixture wire with one wire on the electric wire on the wall with the plug on the end, and the other wire going to the fixture. Do the same for the white wire. Then bind the white wire and the connecting strand of cord together with a wire nut. Attack the black wire on the outlet onto the switch’s bottom terminal and the black wire going to the light onto the top terminal. Cover the terminals by wrapping them with the electric tape and attach the switch back into the box. Put the cover on.